Monday, September 20, 2004

 

Happiness is to fight

Karl Marx used to return late from the British Museum library. He could not buy any toys for his daughters. But he would play a game with them - a game of words. His daughter would ask him a question and Marx would give an answer.

Once she asked, what is happiness, Papa? You can see the innocent face of the poor girl, who knew only the joy of her parents' company and nothing more. Marx replied," Happiness is to fight." I wonder what the poor girl must have got from it.

I have fought many times. I believed I was fighting the forces of the evil at times. The fight was lonely and long. Sometimes I was battling myself. The road ahead then looked dark. If I stood firm, and I did, I found help coming from unexpected quarters. There were good people who believed in justice and goodness and came forward to help.

To meet such people of goodness, I considered, was my good fortune. Even to this date, I recall those days when we fought and found comrades-in-arms. That camaraderie is not of the cafe or of the bar or the cinemahall. It is enduring. It restores and sustains faith in the future and goodness of human beings.

I don't know what Marx meant when he said that. This is what I have experienced.
Comments:
Dear Ashutosh

Discovered your link through Balaji's blog. Will add it as one of my favourite readings daily!

regards,
Gautam
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?