Tuesday, June 07, 2005

 

More than a meeting

I met the chairman in his office at his request. This is not usually done, so as to maintain cordiality and independence from the elected members. Other colleagues can also suspect that such meetings can be used for private ends. So it is the unwritten rule that one does not meet the elected members outside formal fora. For me this was the first time I was doing so.

He wanted to know the progress on the project. I explained the situation and gave him my view regarding the causes of delay. He then talked of the dynamics around the project and wanted to know as to who would take the responsibility of the new institution in future. He then asked me if I could continue for a couple of years more. He would ensure I get all the facilities. The whole discussion had by then acquired a grave tonality. I was in a frame of mind, where my commitment to the society was going to once again outweigh my commitment to myself. I caught myself there and asked for time to consult my wife. I also mentioned the need to take care of my health and related issues.

After talking it over with my wife, several instances when the elected members behaved shabbily came back to my mind. I did not allow that to affect my commitment to the society. But I had decided to act in line with my dignity and honour. The decision to go for furlough was a part of this line of thought. No amount of compensation for the pettiness of those actions can now suffice.

It's time to move on...
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?